Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mari Peña
RE 180 MW 2:00
Interview date: Feb. 17, 2012
Industry Interview
I met with Peter, a construction contractor. Unlike a broker, RE agent, or loan officer, whom we frequent a lot during the home buying process, an inspector such as he, definitely plays an important role behind the scene or in some cases under. Like many, he found himself looking for alternative work after the housing market drop. Fortunately with his skills and knowledge set, he has found a fit with-in the industry that suits well. Peter also sub-contracts for Terminix where many jobs require thorough home inspections, some of which require crawling under homes. I narrowed some questions down and posted a few I thought were interesting.


1. How did you get started in the Real Estate industry?
Long story short; I was born in the U.S. but raised in Mexico. My mother, the English teacher, raised us (siblings) speaking only English to us. Every so often a contractor came to visit our small town. When he found out that I spoke English and was a U.S. citizen as well, he immediately offered me a job here. This was at age 16, I came every summer after that.

2. What is a typical day like for you?
You mean other than crawling under houses? I set up the days schedule, line up my work. I have an assistant who often does the dirty work for me. Although I spend a good amount of time on the job-site, I spend just as much in front of the computer or with paperwork.

3. What have you found to be a major weakness of new hires?
Lack of experience, but more so the unwillingness to get out there and learn.

4. What is the biggest drawback to what you do?
Can I ask the same question? “Other than crawling under houses?” It depends, for myself (as an independent contractor) financial backing or lack there of.

5. Describe your biggest challenge.
Inspectors with a different opinion often put you in a bind. If you want to last in this industry you have to stick to what you believe in.

6.What words of advise would you give someone looking to get into the industry?
Do internships, find out if it’s the right fit for you. Hands on experience is a very valuable tool. Be open minded and available for change. Most importantly pay attention to the future needs of the industry such as LEED and BIM, be ready for new methods of construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment