Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Informational Interview

Interview with Brent Sarabian
Real Estate Agent London Properties
By: Kasper Hovannisian

I conducted my interview with Brent Sarabian, a first year real estate agent at London Properties. I chose to conduct my interview with Brent because I wanted to get his knowledge and opinion of how he got started in this business and the challenges a young agent faces in this field. Brent has attended Fresno State and is now using the resources he learned from the University and his family's real estate background to pursue his goals for his business future.

Q: How did you get started in this field?
A: "As I was growing up I got interested in real estate because my mom was and is a real estate agent. When I was young I used to go to open houses with her and I was fascinated by the different properties she would show. So when I became the appropriate age I began studying to become an agent and begin my career."

Q: Was it difficult to become a real estate agent?
A: "It was difficult to become an agent, especially at a young age because it takes a lot of work to get your real estate license. I took many classes at night to prepare myself for the test to become an agent. I was in school at the time so trying to study for my college classes and my real estate test was very difficult. I had to go through the workbook many times in order to be fully confident in my ability to pass the test but i was lucky to have many family members and friends who went through the same experiences I was going through. I definitely asked them a lot of questions."

Q: Was it difficult to find a job?
A: "Being a young agent has its share of challenges, especially in a struggling housing market. Not many agencies are hiring because quite frankly, the economy has put a dent on the market so jobs are difficult to come by. I recommend putting yourself out there and try to make as many contacts as possible.

Q: Are people more reluctant to buy or sell a house through you since you don't have as much experience as most other agents?
A: "No, because I feel that if you know your stuff and do your homework people will want to work with you. I try to go the extra mile with my clients and make sure we are on the same page at all times. If you are professional with your clients they shouldn't have a problem with your age. Or at least in my experience."

Q: What kind of personality or skills is needed to be a successful agent?
A: "You need to be a very personable person to succeed in real estate. You have to work with people all day long so having a good personality is definitely a plus. You also have to be a hard worker because this job is very demanding. you must be prepared to work seven days a week because you never know when you will be called upon."

Q: Do you plan on entering any other branches of real estate?
A: "I would like to begin investing in residential property and land. I work with a lot of people who invest and the process is really rewarding."

Q: What is the most rewarding part of your job?
A: "The thrill of the sale is the most rewarding part. There is nothing like the rush you get when the deal is final and you know you did your best. Seeing how excited the buyer and seller gets when it's all over is awesome. The pay day isn't bad either (haha)."

Q: Any other words of advice for future agents?
A: "Have fun and always be excited about your work."

I would like to thank Brent for taking time out of his busy schedule to let me interview him. I learned a lot from him and his insight on being a young agent in this market was very rewarding. I found it very interesting when he said that his clients didn't care how old he was as long as he is prepared and knowledgeable. I feel this interview accomplished my goal of getting some insight on how to enter this field.

1 comment:

  1. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.
    Bar Mandalevy

    ReplyDelete