Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Informational Interview with Realtor Diann Savage

Diann Savage has been a Realtor with Century 21 M&M, Clovis, Ca. since 2007, and has been a member of the California Associate of Realtors since 2005. A mother of two grown children, Diann has been working as a Real Estate agent for 12 years, starting out in Shaver, California and now working in Clovis. She’s a sweet, vibrant lady who certainly knows how to make someone feel welcome. I had the pleasure of interviewing Diann on how she started out in Real Estate, what it takes to be successful, and where she sees California Real Estate going in the future.

Q. When did you first decide or discover that Real Estate was a field you wanted to pursue?

A. It was probably in 2006. We used to live in Idaho, years ago, and one of our favorite things to do was fill the truck up with gas and drive around looking at houses and lots, dreaming about the ultimate home we would build; that was something my husband and I really enjoyed doing together. Shortly after, we moved to Shaver and he actually got his Broker’s license and was also working as a general contractor. That’s basically how we both got into it.

Q. How long have you been a member of the California Association of

Realtors?

A. I’ve been with CAR since 2005 and with C21 M&M for four years; I just renewed my license.

Q. What are your day-to-day responsibilities/duties?

A. I wake up every morning and get dressed, then I go to my office here at home and work in there from six to nine a.m. Basically I play more of a match-maker between buyers and sellers, similar to what a broker does but on a much smaller scale since I don’t deal with any of the financial aspects. I’m usually out and about in the afternoons showing property or meeting with clients. It definitely entails some responsibility, but I have a fun time doing it.

Q. What are some lifestyle considerations, positive or negative for a career in Real Estate?

A. Well, you definitely have to be a go-getter. You must be willing to put a lot of hours in meeting with people networking. After a few years, if you’ve put the work in, you’ll have clients coming to from referrals making your job easier because now you don’t have to go out and find your own business- it comes to you. Flexibility is a huge factor, too. Being as available as possible to clients who either want to see or show property is also very important.

Q. Which skills or personality traits are best suited for someone in this field?

A. You certainly have to enjoy working with people in order to make it in this area of Real Estate; however, a pushover is what you should not be. If you’re too nice, people will try and take advantage of you, and then you end up paying for it with your time and money.

Q. What is the typical career path from entry-level positions to the top of the field?

A. Oh gosh, I’ve known people who’ve been in the business as little as four years work their way from being an agent to a large-firm broker. It all depends on how much time and effort you’re willing to put in. Also, the people who find quick success are the ones who are the most knowledgeable about the transaction, including all of the contracts.

Q. What is the most rewarding aspect of your career?

A. Well, obviously the paycheck. [Laughs exchanged]. In all honesty, we work for money- it’s the ultimate goal. But it is nice to know that I’ve helped families and individuals find houses that they find comfortable calling their homes.

Q. Since the housing crisis, what obstacles have you surpassed? It what ways have you benefited?

A. I actually haven’t had to face too many obstacles. In fact, in a time when it seems like realtors are hurting for business, I’ve thrived because I learned how to profit from becoming well suited in niche areas that are popular during this type of economy, such as short sales and foreclosures.

Q. What is your future outlook on Real Estate both locally and nationally?

A. It’s hard to say in terms of nationally, but locally, I suspect things are on a slow rise. It will be a long time, if ever, that our country sees another boom like the late 90’s and early 2000’s, but I think we’ll see some improvement in the next 3 years.

Q. If you could start all over again, would Real Estate still be your desired career field?

A. I’ve done many jobs in my life and worked in many different fields. Real Estate would still be a venture I’d pursue if I had the chance to go back and do it all over again.

Q. What suggestions or recommendations would you make to someone, like me, who is about to graduate and hopefully find success in this field?

A. I would tell you to soak up as much information and be the most knowledgeable as possible because people know when you know what you’re talking about, and when you don’t. Never stop learning about current trends. Also, network, network, network! For instance, I always have my Realtor nametag on my shirt everyday so even when I’m at the grocery store, people feel as though they can approach me, and they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment