Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Informational Interview

I interviewed my Aunt Marianne Lane who covers the Blacksburg, Virginia area. As you will find out she works for Wells Fargo and is a home mortgage consultant. My reasoning for interviewing my Aunt was to get to know a little more about what she does and to understand a bit more about the mortgaging business. I always knew the basic concept of home mortgaging but knowing just the basic always left me with more questions than answers I hope this helps others to understand it a bit more also.
1. What is the name of the company that you are currently employed with?
“Wells Fargo”
2. What is your job title?
“Home Mortgage Consultant”
3. What is the favorite part of your job?
“My favorite part is when all the work is done and the client gets the keys to the home and has a smile on their face.”
4. How did you get started in this industry, what made you want to do it?
“I wanted to have a job where I could utilize my analytical skills and also my social skills. With this work I am able to do both every day all day. I had a few friends who were mortgage loan officers and they both encouraged me to make the move.”
5. How difficult was it when you first started?
“It was very difficult. I had to learn a whole new industry, a new job and generate my own business.”
6. Do you think real estate is a people business?
“Without a doubt, you must love to deal with all different kinds and levels of people to gain success in any position related to real estate. Financing a home is an area where most people have little or no knowledge so it often triggers high-emotion.”
7. What is the most difficult part of your job?
“The most difficult part of my job is time management. It is easy to lose yourself in a task when there are quite a few other and different types of tasks that need to be done to be successful.”
8. Did you go to college with the intention of going into this business or did you happen into it?
“My college major was Journalism.”
9. If you happened into it than how?
“I knew people who were working as mortgage loan officers and they felt I had the skill set needed for the job and encouraged me at the beginning and along the way.”
10. What advice would you give to someone who wants to break into the industry?
“Find a good mentor who can help them avoids the common mistakes, and have perseverance- it often takes a while to get your momentum.”
11. Does this job spill into your personal life at all or is it easy to distinguish between work and personal life?
“My work is not a nine-to-five job. When my children were little this was an advantage because I could participate in their school activities but, there are many working evenings and weekends, and my work cell phone rings at almost any given time with a potential lead or a client with a question.”
As you can tell this is not any easy job but also is a rewarding job you need to be a people person to do this job since you are primarily dealing with the client who is trying to get a home which is a high emotion activity. However, with this job your work will spill into your personal life and you have to be willing to accept that. I learned a lot about what my Aunt does and I hope you do to. Thank you for taking the time to do this for me Aunt Marianne.

No comments:

Post a Comment